Saturday, October 30, 2010

Thing #15 Library 2.0 & the future

Reading about Library 2.0 made me realize that I actually know very little. Basically, libraries are still the place for acquiring information, but with Web 2.0 technology, the patron can interact and be a “co-creator, builder and consultant” with the library. In navigating the Web 2.0 world there are many icebergs threatening our success, as explained in the article “Away from the ‘icebergs’” by Rick Anderson. The three icebergs include building a collection that many will not use, relying on training rather than fixing the way we service our patrons, and the old-school idea of patrons “coming to us” rather than the library reaching out. The bottom line in what does Library 2.0 mean to school libraries is this: the library must adapt in order to be a viable powerhouse so users can “access, consume, and create content.” According to the article “Into a New World of Librarianship,” libraries of the future will be more social and user- centered.

I have seen many versions of the video, A Vision of Students Today, and am still amazed at how slow we are as educators in integrating Web 2.0 technology into the curriculum. So what does Library 2.0 mean to me? It means I need to stay abreast of new technology and trends. To do that I need to continue in technology staff development, participate in online courses, and try new things in the classroom to see what works. Last spring when I introduced the cool video creation site Animoto, my students were interested at first; then they rushed through the project so they could listen to music. How can I hold their attention? How can I encourage them to dig deeper during research? I guess there are some things that technology alone cannot create; teachers and librarians are still needed to inspire and nurture a love for learning. And that is something that I am passionately striving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment