Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thing #13 Tagging and Discover Delicious

After playing around in Delicious, I see the benefit of social bookmarking. There are four social studies teachers in my school, and we are constantly emailing each other about what new websites we found. Delicious would be a great tool to organize our bookmarks together and the tags make it easy to retrieve them. I hope to convince my school buddies to create an account so we can share. Another thing I like in Delicious was the tag cloud feature that shows all the currently used tags. The size of the font denotes how popular it is. The green tags show what tags I share with others. This is another one of those sites that I could spend hours in.

I skimmed through Digg and was not impressed. It looked like a place where one could tag or “digg” a site similar to Facebook’s “like.” There is also a place to personalize your news, but that did not appeal to me.

I looked at two other sites—Furl and Gnolia. Gnolia is no longer offered as a bookmarking site, and the Furl link goes straight to Diigo. I already have Diigo installed on my browser, and I use it whenever I want to highlight something on a web page. Then I save it in my Diigo account and whenever I bring up that particular web page, I can immediately see my highlighted areas. This would be an excellent tool for secondary students to use in research. In Diigo the user can also use sticky notes which is like having a virtual post-it note right on the website. Like Delicious, for anyone else to see your highlights, sticky notes, or comments, they have to have an account.

No comments:

Post a Comment